Announcing Second Site

• @ROWUK said in Announcing Second Site:

I do not even trust reviews by top players. I know too many with a flavor of the month.

It would be cool if we had standard things to try and rate:

1. Octave intonation
    2. how well it speaks at ppp in the low, medium and upper register
    3. how well we hear ourselves indoors
    4. how well we hear ourselves “outdoors”
    5. pitch stability during a crescendo
    6. pitch stability with a decrescendo
    7. Proportion of core to halo (a lot of thought must go into this test)
    8. relative loudness where the sound becomes “brilliant”
    9. Stability of horn playability with various mouthpieces
    10. Do certain notes “pop out”?
    11. ergonomy

retest results after 3 months

Feel free to add additional tests. This basically outlines my procedure to buy a new trumpet. All my students learn this and we use it when buying the “second” instrument.

For 2, are you asking how it sounds, or how easily it speaks?
    For 7, I assume you would look for evaluation from ppp to fff, since typically that relationship shifts.

• @OldSchoolEuph #2 how easily the instrument speaks - can we produce a clean tone on a wisp of air in the lower, middle and upper registers. #7 and #8 are related. My reference for "core" is a Bach 229 CL with the H leadpipe. That instrument at "comfortable" volumes has much more core than halo. A Yamaha Xeno or Benge is exactly the opposite. Schilke instruments (except the HD) to me have little "core".

My goal would be to develop a common community language to talk about sound character and a test procedure so that we can read through "personal preference" and make the evaluation meaningful. Granted, there are thousands of parameters that we could test but my experience is that 10 simple tests are enough for first base. With decent base data, even comparison charts could be made from the raw data A Bach C trumpet could have variance in the perceived core from 7 to 10 points, a Xeno from 5-8 and a B1 Schilke, 1-3. I could imagine some having a tough time evaluating before the honeymoon/acclimation time is over...

• @ROWUK I think you would have to make Dale's book on bias in play testing mandatory reading for anyone filling that out first. For those who have not played a vast variety of horns, not "hearing what you expect" based on comments of others can be a real challenge.

• @OldSchoolEuph I certainly agree that we do not have a common vocabulary. That is why I think starting with a checklist is a good idea. Then the words are standardized. It is no different than reading a wine or car review (where an admirable job on vocabulary has been done).

The more we have in common, the more bias becomes obvious.