Announcing Second Site

• Global Moderator

Hello everybody! I am pleased to announce another site I have operational. It is a musical instrument review board:

RateMyAxe.com

As it is still very fledgling, you may find some bugs and strange styling issues here or there. I will certainly welcome feedback as I progress with the site. The styling is fairly similar to the blue theme we have here. Please let me know if you have questions and I look forward to your participation!

• Who are the members of the review board and what are their credentials or can anyone just rate a horn ? If the latter is the case, then to me it is nothing more than someone's opinion and I question how a dedicated site will have any credibility . Just wondering.

• Global Moderator

As far as I can understand the Admin's intentions, there is to be no "Impartial Review Board". In fact, the idea is that anyone who has a horn and can play it can express their opinion of it. And if many people come to the same conclusion about a certain type of horn, that is certainly a good indication. Such a site will also help people who are searching for gratification for their N+1 disease to know what is out there, perhaps get first info about some obscure maker whose horns are the best in the world...

• Qualified Repair Techs

An alternative to the brass review site - nice! Just like anywhere else, you have to weigh the reviews yourself and see what seems credible. Of course, just because a bunch of other people love it doesn’t mean you will, but sometimes it is nice to see a few other opinions before you decide to bite the bullet and order something.

• Global Moderator

It's intended to be a collective, or "crowd-sourced" review site. So, yes, anybody can post reviews. But, like here, you can upvote a post or thread, given it more "credibility."

• @administrator
    Okay, I have a better understanding now.

• @GeorgeB said in Announcing Second Site:

@administrator
    Okay, I have a better understanding now.

Because if you think about it, if it was just professionals doing the reviews, they wouldn't even bother with some horns. I think it's a good idea.

• D'oh, have to register! I kept trying to login as the login looks the same!

• Qualified Repair Techs

@Tobylou8 not necessarily- pros have students, and students don’t always have money. Most pros like to know what they’re going to be dealing with when it comes to student and intermediate horns, and what will be safe to recommend for students.

• Global Moderator

Yeah, I searched for a site like this and I'm not sure anything exists. We have Reverb, but that is more of a marketplace.

• @administrator I think it's a great idea! I hope it gets traction. I will certainly be glad to post about my horns and some I tested, once I find the time.

There are plenty of "user reviews" on shopping sites, but as a shopper, I never know if I can trust them. Buyers on, say, thomann.de, tend to only review horns they liked. At least, that's my theory to explain why everything comes with 5-star reviews... Hopefully, an independent site will be free of some bias!

• Please don't accept this as disingenuous, but since the original site is sparsely used, why divide it up? There's scant participation on the original site as it is.

• @Kehaulani said in Announcing Second Site:

Please don't accept this as disingenuous, but since the original site is sparsely used, why divide it up? There's scant participation on the original site as it is.

The new site isn't limited to trumpets -- it includes all sorts of instruments and other musical equipment. No one would search trumpetboards for reviews on clarinets. So it makes sense to have the new site IMHO.

• @administrator Will watch with interest. I like reading about impressions of various horns as part of the overall mix on this site - so I'm not sure that a separate site will add or detract from that mix.
    Haven't thought through how this might work, but how about an option (a button to push?) to have a review on this forum automatically post to RateMyAxe? I guess that this would require a TB user to have registered on RMA - maybe not, reviews from TB could simply be credited to this board, could also drive more traffic here.
    Similar affiliate links with other instrument groups could quickly build a broad range of content into the site. The multiplier effect could also make the site commercially viable and provide a decent return on your efforts.

• Global Moderator

@Kehaulani said in Announcing Second Site:

Please don't accept this as disingenuous, but since the original site is sparsely used, why divide it up? There's scant participation on the original site as it is.

1. It's supposed to be less niche than this site.
    2. I'm looking more at the long-term success of the site. Sometimes it takes a few years to build a user base. It will probably need marketing as well.
    3. If it fails then I pack up and move on.

• @administrator said in Announcing Second Site:

1. If it fails then I pack up and move on.

No No. Don't do this. We need this to fill a void!

• I registered and will plan to contribute my ratings in short order.

• Global Moderator

@Dr-GO said in Announcing Second Site:

@administrator said in Announcing Second Site:

1. If it fails then I pack up and move on.

No No. Don't do this. We need this to fill a void!

Fortunately, it doesn't cost me much until the user base becomes substantial. I can run it on the same server as TB.

• I rarely trust anonymous instrument evaluations. Know-nothing hacks like to gush about how great the one trumpet they’ve ever played is, and you have no idea if they can even play the thing past a junior high level. I suppose if a person posts often enough, a somewhat accurate opinion of the validity of their opinions can be formed, but even then, unless an instrument is almost universally loved or hated, that vast middle ground is largely populated by player preference for any particular instrument.

• I do not even trust reviews by top players. I know too many with a flavor of the month.

It would be cool if we had standard things to try and rate:

1. Octave intonation
    2. how well it speaks at ppp in the low, medium and upper register
    3. how well we hear ourselves indoors
    4. how well we hear ourselves “outdoors”
    5. pitch stability during a crescendo
    6. pitch stability with a decrescendo
    7. Proportion of core to halo (a lot of thought must go into this test)
    8. relative loudness where the sound becomes “brilliant”
    9. Stability of horn playability with various mouthpieces
    10. Do certain notes “pop out”?
    11. ergonomy

retest results after 3 months

Feel free to add additional tests. This basically outlines my procedure to buy a new trumpet. All my students learn this and we use it when buying the “second” instrument.